Only academic staff of foreign HEIs is eligible candidates for the Latvian fellowship.
Only citizens from countries which have signed an Agreement or offer scholarships for Latvian students can apply for the Latvian government scholarships. See the section Signed Agreements.
The fellowships are granted for a time period of up to 1 term (5 months).
In general, the academic year in Latvia lasts from September 1 to June 30.
The following documents must be submitted when applying for the Latvian fellowship:
- Application form: ;
- Curriculum Vitae and list of scientific publications (applicants are asked to use the Europass CV form);
- Research plan for research work in Latvia (approx. 3 pages) and motivation letter;
- Certified photocopies of Master Diploma (including transcript) and of PhD diploma;
- Invitation letter from the proposed Latvian HEI (please contact the International Relations Department/Unit or Foreign Students Department/Unit of the Latvian HEI directly); List of contact persons in the Latvian HEIs: ;
- One recommendation letter (written within the past three months) from the home HEI or employer;
- Copy of passport or identity card.
- The application deadline for study and research stays is 1 May 2013.
- All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English. All translations shall be officially certified.
- The curriculum vitae and motivation letter shall be dated and signed.
- The application form and all the enclosed documents shall be submitted in two sets.
- Any incomplete applications or applications handed in after the deadline will not be taken into consideration. Documents sent by fax or e-mail will not be accepted.
- The submitted documents will not be returned.
- Application dossiers for scholarships for studies at Latvian HEIs have to be sent directly to VIAA with the following exceptions: Lithuanian, Estonian, Czech and Polish candidates have to send the dossiers to the competent authorities of their countries:
- All applications will be evaluated and the final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the evaluation committee of VIAA.
- The list of accepted candidates will be published on the website of VIAA (English version) at the end of June 2013. All candidates will be informed personally about the results by e-mail.
The amount of the Latvian fellowship is LVL 20 per day and max. LVL 120 for accommodation per month.
- The fellowship holder is expected to remain in residence in Riga/ Latvia for the full duration of the proposed period. If she/he is absent from the host HEI more than one week (7 days), no fellowship will be granted for this time.
- Upon request, the host HEI provides the fellowship holder with a place in a dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation in the international student dormitories must be submitted one month before arrival. Alternatively, foreign researchers may consider renting an apartment in the city.
- The Latvian fellowship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Travel expenses to the Latvian HEI and back to the country of origin are not covered by the Latvian fellowship.
- Fellowship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
Please visit the website of the VIAA for useful links to information sources for foreign students in the Republic of Latvia.
Additional information on the scholarships granted by VIAA can be obtained in the International Cooperation Programme Unit, Management and External Cooperation Department, VIAA.
Ms Aija Jakovica,
Senior Specialist of the International Cooperation Programme Unit
Telephone: + 371 67814331, e-mail: email@example.com
Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra (VIAA, State Education Development Agency)
Vaļņu iela 1, Rīga LV-1050